Senior Interactive Engineer
Location: San Francisco
Published on: May 22 - 2019
Obscura is an award-winning San Francisco-based creative studio that’s building the immersive entertainment venues and connected interactive experiences of the future. Our innovative team of artists, producers, and technologists use the medium of light to tell a story and communicate a vision through large-scale art installations and productions. Our work is nothing less than cutting-edge, and our clients are nothing short of pioneers. They’re film-makers, museums, companies, and countries who want to draw attention to a cause, or simply create a next-level experience that makes the world pay attention and think differently. We’re looking for top-notch talent to join our team ... if that’s you, read on.
Obscura is looking for a Senior Interactive Engineer to help bring to life a diverse mix of projects ranging from interactive large-scale projections to complex multi-display installations to intimate single user interfaces with personalized interactions, many of which involve R&D. A Senior Interactive Engineer must have the ability to work alone or in teams, incorporating input from a diverse group to integrate contributions into a final production ready system. Interfacing with a broad range of hardware and software systems, the Senior Interactive Engineer is responsible for the final showtime operation of events and software for installations and interfaces. Working on a project from conception through execution, this position benefits from a broad range of skills such as IT, realtime graphics, scripting and hardware integration.
As a Senior Interactive Engineer at Obscura, you will help to concept, design, and communicate a wide range of experiences ranging from passive to interactive, environmental to screen based, physical to digital.
Specific Functions/Activities :
● Expert in multiple development languages and platforms in the Obscura toolbox
● Independently guides the project development team during conception and production
● Recommends appropriate technologies for the development of new projects
● Partners closely with other departments (Art and Creative Services): translates designs into code, develops and displays content and manage media assets, implement intuitive user interfaces
● Pull together input from other project team members into a cohesive and stable system
● Work with media team on specifying playback conditions and templates for proper content display and manage media assets
● Provide support for ongoing installations as needed
● Keep the departmental and other management fully informed of problems and progress in a project
● Apply best practices for efficient and effective development; look for opportunities to streamline and fully utilize current and new technology solutions
● Work closely with departmental and other management to ensure projects are delivered on time, to a strong level of quality and with expectations of high uptime.
● Maintain an inclusive process that empowers entire project team to contribute to final results
● Identify areas that require attention and work with the Software project management team to ensure time and resources are dedicated to continually improving our situation and reducing areas of concern
● Stays current on relevant technology and conducts necessary research and development testing to assess emerging technology options
· Bachelors degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
· 5-8 years relevant experience
· Strong communicator - able to use language to accurately convey changes to and from non-technical staff
· Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each
· Exceptional initiative and attention to detail
· Must love design and have strong aesthetic and critical faculties
· A demonstrated track record of gaining trust and respect by consistently demonstrating sound creative, strategic, and analytical thinking skills, while maintaining composure in stressful situations.
· Derivative TouchDesigner / Python 3.x
· OpenFrameworks / C++
· iOS development - Objective C, Swift
· OpenGL, GLSL, WebGL
· Unity / C#
· Cycling ’74 Max
· Source control using Git
· Full stack web technologies
· Database familiarity (MySQL, Postgres, SQLite)
· three.js, or other 2D/3D web graphics framework
· Familiarity with media communication protocols (UDP, MIDI, DMX, Art-Net, OSC, etc)
· General graphic design
· 3d Modeling and pre-vis: Maya, 3ds Max, WYSIWYG, Oculus, Vive
· Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator
· Understanding of projectors, lenses, and cameras Understanding of audio and music technologies
· Understanding of software development and release cycles
· Knowledge of event production procedures
· Experience with all three major platforms: MacOS, Windows, Linux
How to apply
Please submit your resume and include samples of your work.