Location: San Francisco
Published on: Feb 21 - 2018
Obscura is an award-winning San Francisco-based creative studio that’s building the immersive entertainment venues and connected interactive experiences of the future. Our innovative team of artists, producers, and technologists use the medium of light to tell a story and communicate a vision through large-scale art installations and productions. Our work is nothing less than cutting-edge, and our clients are nothing short of pioneers. They’re film-makers, museums, companies, and countries who want to draw attention to a cause, or simply create a next-level experience that makes the world pay attention and think differently. We’re looking for top-notch talent to join our team … if that’s you, read on.
Obscura is looking for an Interactive Engineer to act as the hub of a diverse team to integrate contributions into a final production ready system. Interfacing with a broad range of hardware and software systems, the Interactive Engineer is responsible for the final showtime operation of events, and software for installations. The IE leads the development of show and calibration systems, and completes setup and troubleshooting. Working on a project from conception through execution, this position benefits from a broad range of skills such as IT, realtime graphics, and scripting.
As an Interactive Engineer at Obscura, you will help to concept, design, and communicate a wide range of experiences ranging from passive to interactive, environmental to screen based, and physical to digital.
- Pulls together input from other project team members into a cohesive and stable showready system
- Sets up, calibrates, and operates show systems onsite often under extreme deadlines and pressure
- Works with media team on specifying playback conditions and templates for proper content display and manage media assets
- Applies best practices for efficient and effective development; looks for opportunities to streamline and fully use current and new technology solutions
- Works closely with the Director of Software and Project Managers to ensure projects are delivered on time, to a strong level of quality and with expectations of high uptime.
- Maintains an inclusive process that empowers entire project team to contribute to final results
- Identifies areas that require attention and works with the Director of Software to ensure time and resources are dedicated to continually improving our situation and reducing areas of concern
- Keeps the Director of Software and Project Managers fully informed on problems and progress
- Stays current on relevant technology and conducts necessary research and development testing to assess emerging technology options
- In crisis, assists the Director of Systems in pulling together resources to explore alternatives in ensuring 100% project uptime
What we are looking for:
- Must be able to use appropriate terminologies and language to accurately convey changes or direction in concept or design, including to and from non-technical staff
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each
- Ability to interact and collaborate with other departments within Obscura to solve problems
- Exceptional initiative and attention to detail
- Flexible schedule; some evening and weekend work required as necessary, as well as frequent travel
- Have strong critical aesthetic faculty
- A demonstrated track record of gaining trust and respect by consistently demonstrating sound creative, strategic, and analytical thinking skills, while maintaining composure in stressful situations.
Technical Skills & Experience:
- Derivative TouchDesigner
- 3d Modeling: Maya, 3ds Max
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, After Effects
- Graphics: OpenGL, GLSL
- Scripting: Python, Windows Powershell
- Basic knowledge of projectors, lenses, and cameras
- Basic knowledge of event production procedures
- OS: Windows, Linux, MacOS
- Familiarity with C++ a plus
About this job:
This is a full-time salaried position with occasional late evenings and/or weekend work. We offer a competitive set of employee benefits, including healthcare and 401k.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume for consideration with “Interactive Engineer” in the subject line to email@example.com