Interaction Designer, Hardware
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Published on: Oct 20 - 2018
Design and user experience (UX) are at the forefront of everything we do. The job of an Interaction Designer is to envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. In an Interaction Designer role, you’ll take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for billions of people around the world—from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
As an Interaction Designer at Google, you'll shape the future by designing products that harness the power of Google to delight and inspire millions of people worldwide. You are a design leader who is passionate about improving people's lives through design and technology. You are proactive, creative, engaged, optimistic, progressive, open-minded and resourceful and you seek inspiration, empowerment, and challenge.
User experience (UX) is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide the design of the experiences we create. Our multidisciplinary UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and performance. We collaborate closely with product managers, software engineers, and many others to solve complex challenges and craft powerful experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Lead design projects that either seek to conceptualize individual products or define the vision for a category as a whole.
- Explore future opportunities for Google Hardware through speculative design projects.
- Build strong relationships, influence and partnerships with leaders inside and outside their core product team to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed.
- Create compelling visual presentations, storyboards and prototypes showing solutions and context for both peers, users and leadership.
- Facilitate collaborative innovation through workshops with designers, stakeholders and potential users.
- BA/BS degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Portfolio of work.
- 8 years of experience in a related field.
- Experience with design and prototyping tools, as well as human-centered and iterative design methodology. Experience in tangible interaction and digital/physical interface.
- Experience with a combination of physical computing (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi and electronic basics) and interactive programming skills (e.g. Processing, VVVV and/or openFrameworks).
- Experience in conceiving and documenting solutions through personas, user journeys, storyboards, value propositions and sketches.
- Experience in partnering with Design Research to amplify research and design impact. Ability to thrive in ambiguity and conceptualizing new ideas.
- Excellent visual design and communication skills. Passion for design as well as a pulse on emerging trends, products and technology.
How to apply
Please use the APPLY button below.