Student Internship - Digital Experience Design - Summer 2018
Location: New York, NY
Published on: Mar 1 - 2018
Gensler's Brand Design studio is a collaborative team of designers, strategists, digital experience experts and storytellers that engage with a wide variety of clients on projects of all sizes. Our work ranges from architectural media and interactive spatial experiences to environmental branding, print collateral, websites and international brand positioning. As Gensler brand designers, we help our clients tell their unique stories effectively via every channel available in today's diverse media landscape. Our approach combines design and spatial expertise with a unique point of view and strong communication skills. We believe that this approach results in brands that build trust, inspire confidence, and forge lasting relationships. As a DXD intern in Gensler’s New York office, you will join a creative studio environment for a full-time, paid internship opportunity running approximately from the end of May to the mid-August 2018. You must be available for the entire duration of the program.
As a Gensler Digital Experience Design Intern, your job is to leverage your expertise with a portfolio of digital technologies to support the design objectives of a wide variety of project types, including environmental visuals and content, interactive spatial experiences and digital-physical hybrid prototypes. You will be working directly with lead designers, and gain tremendous experience and insight on project processes. This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the largest design firms in the world and take advantage of the wide range of opportunities available to you as a full contributing member of the Gensler team.
What You Will Do During This Internship
- Participate in the conceptualization and visioning of projects to help define their strategic goals and experience design direction
- Work closely with architects, interior designers, brand designers and other technologists to design and realize projects that seamlessly blend physical environments with branded experience and expression
- Gain knowledge of the spatial design process, including designing in large scale and understanding technical drawings
- Work closely with the Creative Technology Director and the DXD team to explore, prototype and develop digital artifacts that demonstrate new ways technology can enhance physical spaces
- Gain real-world experience working with clients large and small across a spectrum of industries and locations
- Collaborate with your fellow interns on a student-led project to help improve a local community in need through the power of design
- A demonstrable grasp of the fundamentals of software development – including logic and algorithms, code factoring, use of frameworks and APIs.
- Understand how to utilize code to create generative and interactive experiences, animation, imagery, for cross-media platforms
- A portfolio of creative coding work including generative visualization, digital-physical hybrid pieces, sensor-driven interactivity, and other capabilities relevant to spatial experience
- A thoughtful attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Willingness to take direction and the desire to learn from design professionals from a variety of disciplines
- Curiosity and enthusiasm to learn the elements of holistic spatial experience design
- All candidates must have completed their third year of undergraduate education or first year of graduate education
Gensler is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
How to Apply
Got to the link on top and upload your resume, cover letter and portfolio in PDF form. Resumes/Portfolios submitted in Microsoft Word will be not reviewed.
Submissions without work samples will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: April 1, 2018